Seafarers employed or engaged in a safety related capacity onboard South African Fishing Vessels over 25GT.
The objective of the Safety Officer is to ensure the safety of all seafarers on board the vessel.
This learning opportunity is designed for the training of
Safety Officers onboard South African Fishing Vessels over 25 GT
- Compiling and reviewing risk assessments.
- Compiling and reviewing safe work procedures.
- Ensuring that all seafarers and contractors adhere to the
- Code of Safe Working Practices.
- Observing work in progress
- Ensuring that proper safety equipment is worn, and procedures are followed at all times.
- Conducting or facilitating any required investigations of accidents and
incidents, including following-up on outstanding actions.
- Monitoring contractor safety programmes and preparing weekly/monthly compliance reports, as required.
- Holding regular monthly health & safety meetings, in order to monitor
compliance and provide advice and assistance, where required from the
Master of the vessel.
- ABET Literacy
- Medically fit for sea