STC-SA is now accredited with the South African Maritime Safety Authority (SAMSA) to facilitate this course at the Nelson Mandela University, North Campus, Port Elizabeth
Now includes Elementary First Aid
- To preserve life
- To promote recovery
- Call for advance medical assistance
This learning opportunity is designed for all seafarers in any capacity wishing to pursue a career at sea. To achieve the basic procedures in first aid onboard a vessel, the competencies as described in the STCW and SAMSA Codes respectively.
- Contents of First Aid Kit.
- Body structure and function.
- Toxicological hazards on-board ships.
- Examination of casualty or patient.
- Spinal Injuries.
- Burns scalds and effects of heat and cold.
- Fractures, dislocations and muscular injuries.
- Medical care for rescued persons.
- Radio medical advice.
- Cardiac arrest, drowning and asphyxia
- ABET Literacy
- Medically fit for sea