This course is intended for every person performing radio duties on a ship that is required to participate in the GMDSS.
To efficiently operate the GMDSS equipment and to be able to take primary responsibility for radio communications during distress incidents.
On completion of the course the participant should, amongst others, be able to:
• Explain the principles of Maritime Radio Communication
• Operate GMDSS Communication Systems
• Operate other GMDSS Communication Systems, such as EPIRB’s and SART’s
• Execute and handle Distress Alerts
• Command the English language both written and spoken for the communication of information relevant to safety of life at sea.
The course is conducted in accordance with the Standards of Training, Certification and
Watchkeeping (STCW) Code as amended Sections A-IV/2 and Section B-IV/2 paragraphs 29 to 36.
Teaching methods include lectures, discussions, case studies and practical training on the
Number of participants
The minimum number of participants is 6 and the maximum is 12.
To be advised
The cost of the course is to be defined once the final duration of the program is determined.