For Ordinary Seafarer Engine Ratings wishing to pursue a career as an
Able Seafarer Engine Rating.
To provide participants with the required knowledge, understanding and
proficiency required to competently perform the functions of an Able
Seafarer Engine rating onboard a vessel.
Your first position on a vessel will be as an Engine Rating forming part
an Engineering Watch. To qualify as an Able Seafarer Engine you are
required to obtain 12 months sea service and complete a task book.
The task book reflects your responsibilities and work performed on a
particular vessel. This course is an essential stepping stone to further
• Occupational Health and Safety.
• Ship’s power plants.
• Fuelling and oil transfer.
• Bilge and Ballast operation.
• Marine pollution.
• Electrical hand and machine tools.
• Safe handling, stowage and securing of stores.
• Engineering Watch.
• Maintenance and repair onboard.
• 18 years of age or older.
• ABET Literacy
• Prerequisites on Completion of Certification
• Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities (PSSR)
• Personal Survival Techniques (PST),
• Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting (FPFF), Medical First Aid (MFA)
• Survival Craft & Rescue Boats another than Fast Rescue Boats
• Designated Security Duties
• A valid SAMSA medical certificate, including vision test
• Completed at least a minimum of 12 months sea service at sea with proof of service.
• In the possession of a SAMSA Seaman’s Book.
• Proof of Identity
• Certificate as ordinary seamen
• 3 current passport photographs