For Ordinary Seafarer Engine Ratings wishing to pursue a career as an Able Seafarer Engine Rating.
To provide participants with the required knowledge, understanding and proficiency required to competently perform the functions of an Able Seafarer
Engine rating onboard a vessel.
Your first position on a vessel will be as an Engine Rating forming part
an Engineering Watch. To qualify as an Able Seafarer Engine, you are required to obtain 12 months sea service and complete a task book. The task book reflects your responsibilities and work performed on a vessel. This course is an essential steppingstone to further engineering training.
- Occupational Health and Safety.
- Ship’s power plants.
- Fuelling and oil transfer.
- Bilge and Ballast operation.
- Marine pollution.
- Electrical hand and machine tools.
- Safe handling, stowage and securing of stores.
- Engineering Watch.
- Maintenance and repair onboard
- 18 years of age or older.
- ABET Literacy
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities (PSSR)
- Personal Survival Techniques (PST)
- Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting (FPFF) and
- Medical First Aid (MFA)