This learning opportunity is a promotional requirement for an Efficient Deck Rating wishing to become an Able Seafarer Deck. More responsibilities will handed over to the candidate onboard a vessel once he/she has successfully completed the learning opportunity.
The purpose of this Learning Opportunity is to give all those interested in a career at sea the basic skills and knowledge to perform their functions applicable to their particular position onboard a vessel competently.
Your first position on a vessel will be an Efficient Deckhand. After completing 18 months at sea service you will be eligible to enroll for the Able Seafarer Deck Learning Opportunity. Your sea service and task book must reflect your time and job function on a particular vessel. After occupying the position of an
Able Seaman, you may be appointed as a Bosun, the person in charge of the Deck Operations.
- Occupational Health and Safety.
- Ship’s parts, functions and terms.
- Emergency procedures.
- Man overboard and recovery procedures.
- Marine pollution.
- Pool drill and survival techniques.
- Basic first aid.
- Basic firefighting.
- Maritime occupational safety regulations.
- Must be 19 years of age or older.
- Must be in the possession of a Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities (PSSR), a Personal Survival Techniques (PST), a Marine Fire Fighting (MFF) and a First Aid At Sea (FAAS) Certificate.
- Must have a valid SAMSA medical certificate including eye vision test
- Must have completed at least a minimum of 18 months sea service at sea.
- Must be in the possession of a SAMSA Seaman’s Book.